If you are considering suicide or in crisis,
If a person says they are considering suicide,
- Take the person seriously
- Stay with them
- Help them remove lethal means, but do not put yourself in harm
- Call 911 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Text TALK to 741741 to text with a trained crisis counselor from the Crisis Text Line for free, 24/7
- Escort them to mental health services or an emergency room
Suicide is preventable.
Below are resources to help people in crisis, their friends, and family.
suicidepreventionlifeline.org: National website offering 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
suicideispreventable.org: Website that helps you recognize the signs of suicide in people of all ages.
Well Being Resources for Veterinarians
American Veterinarian Medical Association: Page dedicated to providing mental well being r
AMVA Well Being Assessment: A tool from AMVA that helps you assess your well being as a veterinarian professional and find resources to help.
AVMA Well Being Linked